5:118 – Footprints in the sand
#faithbites #faithjourney footprints
It’s been raining a lot here in Bloomington. I can see tracks through my yard and know exactly where my kids and dog have been. Haven’t seen any strange animals yet. (We did see a fox a couple of months ago). These tracks tell a story of how they played, what they did, and where they went.
The poem, Footprints, very eloquently describes our story and our faith as tracks in the sand and Jesus’s right alongside us. But during the hardest times, there is only one set.
One night a man had a dream. He dreamed
he was walking along the beach with the LORD.
Across the sky flashed scenes from his life.
For each scene he noticed two sets of
footprints in the sand: one belonging
to him, and the other to the LORD.
When the last scene of his life flashed before him,
he looked back at the footprints in the sand.
He noticed that many times along the path of
his life there was only one set of footprints.
He also noticed that it happened at the very
lowest and saddest times in his life.
This really bothered him and he
questioned the LORD about it:
“LORD, you said that once I decided to follow
you, you’d walk with me all the way.
But I have noticed that during the most
troublesome times in my life,
there is only one set of footprints.
I don’t understand why when
I needed you most you would leave me.”
The LORD replied:
“My son, my precious child,
I love you and I would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering,
when you see only one set of footprints,
it was then that I carried you.”
- Can you see the tracks of your life? Are you happy with them?
- Is there a second set of footprints next to yours?
- If not, is it because you lost faith or because Jesus is carrying you?
- Isaiah 46:4 – Even to your old age I am he, and to gray hairs I will carry you. I have made, and I will bear; I will carry and will save.
- 1 Peter 5:7 – Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
- Psalm 34:18 – The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.
- Isaiah 40:11 – He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young.
Our God is not a fairweather God. He will never leave us, forsake us, or turn on us. He is with us from the beginning until the end. Our God picks us up, carries us, loves us, and cares for us. It’s in those times when we feel the most separated that he is there carrying us. We just need to seek his presence and call out to him. He will answer as he has been there the whole time. It’s only when we look back and see how the rough times ended that we realize God did it.
As we close, never forget that our God is awesome and is with us no matter what.
Father God, thank you for never leaving us. Lord, sometimes we feel disconnected and apart from you. We pray that you give us a sign and comfort that you are near. You’ve told us you will never leave but we still feel that we aren’t worthy of your love and maybe you left. Help us to be strong, courageous, and know that you are there. We pray this in your name, Amen.