5:135 – A doctor cares, heals, and makes change
#faithbites #faithjourney #CarleIllinois doctor
Today was the first commencement for the Carle Illinois College of Medicine. What started as a dream over 8 years ago, turned into a reality as 23 physician-innovators prepare to enter residency. I am filled with emotions, tears, and anticipation for the future for them. This must be what it feels like when your kids go off to school.
During the many speeches today, the one thing that came through is not only does a doctor heal, but a doctor cares. They use their skills, knowledge, and technology to help one individual, one life at a time. They care, love, and have to have heart. One clinician told me back before day one, that he can be the best doctor in the world but if the patient doesn’t trust them, it doesn’t matter. Doctoring is an art and a science.
- How can we be healers, carers, and make change in this world?
- How do we make ourselves available to those who need us even if we don’t k ow they need us?
- What can we do to be the change that the world needs?
- Mark 2:17 – And when Jesus heard it, he said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”
- Mark 16:15 – And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.
I am not a Doctor, a physician. Most of us are not doctors but we can heal, care, and make change in the world. In Mark, we see that the way we heal. Care, and make change is through sharing the Gospel. When we do it, we do it through love, kindness, and generosity.
Most of the time, I share the His word, not in verse, but in action, and prayer. We all can be healers, carers, and change makers. Jesus told us to go out and do this. We all heal, care,. And change in different ways than a doctor, but still vitly important.
As we close, remember to love, care, heal, and be available for God to use you.
FatherGod, first we ask for blessings on the inaugural class of Physican-innovators from Carle Illinois. Bless these new doctors with compassion, competence, creativity, and curiosity. Let their training and their faith guide them. Lord, help us all to be healers, carers, and change makers. Let us use our unique skills and abilities to radically change the world with your love. Amen.