5:132 – The Signs are everywhere
#faithbites #faithjourney signs
If you ask my older brother, he will tell you that when I was younger, I wasn’t a big music fan. I just didn’t get into it for some reason, but now music is everywhere and influences how I see life. This morning, I woke up with “Signs” by Tesla in my head. I couldn’t get it out. There are signs everywhere we go, both human-made and God-made. As they sing, “Signs Signs, Everywhere there’s signs “bleeping” up the scenery breaking my mind. Do this, don’t do that. Can’t you read the sign”. (Yes, bleeping is my choice of word). The song talks about signs that tell us who is welcome (long-haired freaky people can’t work here), you can’t trespass there. I didn’t realize how much religion and faith was in this song. “If God was here He’d tell it to your face Man You’re some kind of sinner.” What really got me was the final verse,
And the sign says “Everybody welcome Come in Kneel down and pray”
But then they passed around a plate at the end of it all
And I didn’t have a penny to pay
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own bleeping sign
I said Thank you Lord for thinking about me I’m alive and doing fine
- What signs do you see that direct you through life?
- Are you obeying them or doing your own thing?
- Can you see the signs that God is putting in front of you?
- Isaiah 7:11 – “Ask a sign for yourself from the Lord your God; make it deep as Sheol or high as heaven.”
- Isaiah 7:14 – Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel.
- Joshua 24:17 – for the Lord our God is He who brought us and our fathers up out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage, and who did these great signs in our sight and preserved us through all the way in which we went and among all the peoples through whose midst we passed.
- John 2:11 – This, the first of his signs, Jesus did at Cana in Galilee, and manifested his glory. And his disciples believed in him.
God is everywhere in creation. He gives you signals regardless if you see them or not. From the people he puts in your life to the miracles that you see everyday, he is there. It’s up to us to see them and know that he is God.
The last verse in “Signs’, really came home to me. The man is praying, not a penny to spare, but says, “Thank you, Lord for thinking of me”. That is our God. The god for everyone. The one who put a sign around you saying you are his Child.
As we close, remember that our vision is often clouded by human-made signs. Let’s see past them and make sure we are following God’s signs.
Lord Jesus. thank you for all you do for us. We often get blinded by so many signs and directions from the world that we forget to see what you want us to do. Forgive us for getting off track. Help us to know that you love us no matter what and will always be the lamp to our feet and the light to our path. Amen.