5:16 – Serve When Called
#faithbites #faithjourney serve
Tdya II was sitting in the balcony of my daughter’s swim meet. The announcer came over the loud speaker and said they were short timers. I knew I could time, but I really didn’t want to. I debated it, and was looking for someone else to step up. It didn’t happen. Then I still hesitated but made the choice to do it. I came down and they needed even more and slowly people volunteered. It was a long 3 hours, but I got to talk to people, reassure swimmers, and just be present. I did want to serve, but the call was there.
- When you are called to serve, do you answer?
- If not, why not?
- If you don’t answer the call to serve, who will serve?
- Acts 20:35 – In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ”
- Hebrews 6:10 – God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.
- Isaiah 6:8 – Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I.Send me!”
Jesus was our example of servant leadership. He showed us why and how to serve unselfishly. God wants us to serve when we are called, he wants us to answer.
Here’s the thing, like in Isaiah, God needs servant leaders. Sometimes the message, like when they needed deck timers, is very clear. Other times, when you see someone sad or hurting, it’s much more subtle. Now, you may not be the right person at the right time, but don’t use that as an excuse. See if you can help, and if not, you will know. When we sit and let the experience pass, not only have we lost out and a growth opportunity , but we’ve squandered God’s gifts.
Father God, we love you and thank you for your example in your Son. You tell us to come and serve, and sometimes we fail to answer that call. We ask for your forgiveness. We pray, that you give us a spirit of service in all situations and the skills to help us accomplish any task. In your name, Amen.